My Father

My Father
Love you Dad!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Family Treasures

Today while working out at the gym, I had a chance to reflect on this past weekend.  Yesterday I returned home from a wonderful weekend with some of the ladies in my family.  My parents live six months out of the year in Ft. Myers Florida.  Dad is 83 and Mom 80, we are blessed to have them in good health.  9 women were to invade their home for a long weekend of R&R.  My sister Kathy and I arrived on Thursday to prepare for the other 7 on Friday.  My parents were extremely excited about everyone's arrival.  Kathy and I did the grocery shopping and made a stop at the liquor store of course.  We spent a quite evening visiting with the folks.  Bright and early the next morning Kathy and I with 2 vans went to pick up the others from the airport.  There were sisters, sister in-laws and nieces.  Ranging from ages of 23 to 53.  Estrogen overload!  They arrived with hugs and kisses and some tears.  We loaded into the van and headed to the beach.  For those who have not been to Ft. Myers beach, it is a combination of large white sandy beaches and tropical hotels serving delicious drinks day and night.  Our first day was spent drinking margaritas and laughing as we shared stories of our families and past experiences.  We took a lot of pictures which took some time to accomplish when you have to take the same picture from 9 different cameras.  After the beach we made our way back home to greet our parents anxiously awaiting our arrival.  
Again through hugs, kisses and tears we started our first evening with some laughter and of course more drinks.  I made Shrimp tacos which went over pretty well.  We were quite tired to say the least so by 10pm some of us were already sleeping.  The younger nieces were quite surprised to see our early departure.  Grandma being the trooper she is, stayed up late to chat with the other late night warriors.
6am and I was up drinking my coffee and trying to be quiet to not wake up the rest.  Air mattresses lined the living room.  I was lucky to have gotten a bedroom.  First come, first served I say!!  I made a breakfast buffet consisting of fruits, low fat blueberry muffins, bagels and egg white fritattas.  It was a hit for the ladies who all were watching their waistline.  By 10 we were back of the road heading for a 75 degree day on the beach.  The traffic was not very accommodating.  It took us until 12 to get there.  Once there we settled right in for an amazing day together.  We all seemed to put our troubles on hold for our time with each other.  We appreciated what everyone had given up to be there on that glorious weekend.  That evening we celebrated my sister's birthday to her surprise.  Having her daughters by her side meant the world to her.  She lives in Arizona and her daughters in Michigan.  Not a day goes by that she doesn't miss them dearly.  Before this weekend, she had not seen her daughters since September of last year.  It was heart warming to see them together.
I made it to 11pm that night before I collapsed into bed.  Hey, thats pretty good considering I usually go to bed at 9pm.  First one up again with coffee in hand.  Last full day to relax.  We got a late start to the beach and ended up having to turn around because of traffic.  We spent the rest of the day at Mom and Dad's laying out by the water.  We made margaritas and talked about plans for what would now become an annual event.  That night we went out to dinner and some of the girls went to the bar afterwards.  The bar was not even a mile away.  The younger girls were going to party all night long.  There efforts were going well until my sisters showed up at 11pm in their pajama pants at the bar to tell them to come home! My 30, 27 and 23 year old nieces got told by the Aunts to come home.  OMG!  Well needless to say, there obeyed and stayed up until 2am whispering in their bed.  They will always be our babies!!
Well yesterday was spent cleaning and putting things back where they belonged.  My breakfast consisted of a limited menu.  It was kind of like a cruise ship.  The first day it is all bells and whistles at the buffet.  The last day it is cereal and coffee and get your butt off the ship.  By ten we were on the road to the airport.  Again more tears and promises of future trips to visit.  Back to reality with jobs, children and anxiously awaiting spouses.  We left my parents with great memories of a weekend full of fun and laughter.
As I reflected on my weekend I took many things away for my vacation.  Cherish your time with your family, for life won't always slow down for you to remember every moment.  Mothers, sisters and daughters, look at your family with non-judgmental eyes, for none of us are perfect.  We have all made mistakes and need our families to love us through thick and thin.
Thank you Mom and Dad for hosting our weekend together.  You are both an amazing couple and great parents!  I strive everyday to be just like you both.  I love you!
OK ladies get your butt off the ship and get back to work.  See you next year!
Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment