My Father

My Father
Love you Dad!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Honey, You're Not 21 Anymore!!!!

Ok, it's official I am 47 and proud of it!  For all my high school friends...... we rock at 47!  Of course somethings have changed since we were 18.  Things are falling out, down and over our belts.  We have traded in a blueberry muffin for a muffin top tummy and peaches and cream skin for botox injections  and night creams.  Menopause is the reason we are sweating in bed these days.  Hot flashes make you want to run out into the snow for 2 minutes and then get your butt back in the house before you catch a cold.  We use to be able to diet briefly to drop a couple of pounds, now dieting is a continuous process with very little change on the scale.  We either need to change your dieting habits or learn to love your body.  I have to admit, I have gotten more "it is what it is" lately about my body image.  Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on trying to change it.  I am just not so obsessed with living every moment thinking about the bumps and bulges.  For those who know me well, they are aware of my passion for cooking.  I am a self taught chef according to some.  I love to cook and of course to sample my creations.
I studied wine for a year at University of Houston.  Now, that was a great curriculum.  Two nights a week I would come to this class.  We would test anywhere from 10-15 different wines from different regions around the world. To answer the burning question.......no I didn't get drunk.  We were required to spit most of it out.  Believe it or not it was a very challenging coarse study.  The test were grueling.  100 questions regarding history, processing, etc..... then 3 blind tasting having to identify several traits of the wine.  Some individuals have  natural palate for tasting and other really need to develop it.  Chris and I enjoy together the love for wine!  We try not to appreciate it too often.
The love of cooking and wine can lead down a heavy road if your not careful.  As you all know, as we have gotten older eating and drinking what we did in our twenties does work anymore.  Indigestion, waking up in the middle of the night with heartburn and retaining so much water that you wonder if you will ever be able to get your rings off again.  So what do we do to help the situation?  Workout!  Get to the gym as often as possible.  Working out in the morning seems to be the best bet.  Not because it is the best time for your body, but because it gives you less time to talk yourself out of going.  I need to go to the bank, grocery store and paint the kids room.......whatever works.  I remember making the bed the other day just before going to the gym.  No one was home and it was about 9am.  I was dressed for the gym and in my mind thinking of every good reason not to go.  I finally said out loud, "JUST DO IT ALREADY"!  I finished and went to the gym.  I get bored easily while at the gym.  I play music to occupy my time on the bike.  I cover up the time display so it passes by faster.  The other day while riding the bike I noticed that my upper arms were talking back to me.  I looked down at them and thought , you have got to be kidding me.  Needless to say I finished my workout with tricep and bicep machines.   I laugh at this because back in the day I use to get so upset by any sign of aging.  Now........... it is what it is!  I have control of some of it and the other stuff is called aging with grace and a sense of humor.
Talk to you later
Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment