My Father

My Father
Love you Dad!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Check up Day

Happy Tuesday everyone!  I just wanted to update you on my recent visit to the oncologist.  As I had mentioned before,  MDAnderson Cancer Center is like a city.  Every floor is a different type of cancer.  You see every conceivable type of individual.  While waiting for my appointment, I saw an elderly man who was missing his nose.  Just a flat bandage over the site of where it use to be.  I couldn't help but say a prayer for him at that moment and thank God for my many blessings.
My floor is number seven, "lucky #7"!  That is the gastrointestinal floor.  My appointment started today with a mad rush just to get there.  I had worked today and met Chris at MDA.  Chris comes to all my oncology appointments.  I got there and they called me into the vitals room.  This is where they WEIGH you.  Ok, as usual I weighed myself this morning.  Of course you gain weight as you progress through your day.  Two and a half pounds!  I would completely strip on those scales if they would let me!  Luckily, Chris was still in the waiting area.  We then went into one of the exam rooms.  Very small!  Exam table , chairs and a computer.   They let the patients go on the internet because you guessed it, the wait can be long.  My doctor is usually prompt.  During my wait my husband tries to occupy my thoughts.  We played a game on my IPad.  During this time, I am in silent prayer almost continuously.
 A knock at the door means the doctor is here.  Actually, he is quite nice.  "So how are you doing Mrs. Sullivan?"  I can hardly think of anything except THE RESULTS!.  I sit there and wring my hands.  I tell him I am fine.  "All your test results are normal".  I grab Chris's knee with relief.  I silently thank God for another blessing.  I relax and can think again.  He examines me and we discuss what plans he has for me for the future.  In three months they will do a CT, MRI and draw additional blood.  At that time he will consider moving my exams to yearly.  Yearly!   Around two years ago he was looking into my husband's eyes and saying I am sorry.  I can't even begin to tell you how this makes me feel.  I have fought long and hard for this day and many to come.  I thank God for the early Birthday present.
We say our goodbyes to my doctor.  We walk out pass the waiting room filled with many patients and visitors.  Some in wheelchairs too weak to walk and some with their hair growing back knowing that those treatments are finally over.  They are in all different stages of cancer survival.  Then there is the woman with her husband walking out the door hand in hand.  She looks like she works there but in all actuality she is a patient who five years ago was told she had cancer and now is cancer-free!  Love to all.
Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment